Just recently, the makers of Prithviraj changed the film’s name to Samrat Prithviraj after facing heavy criticism from Shree Rajput Karni Sena, a Rajasthan-based organisation that had previously disrupted the release of the 2018 film Padmaavat. The film’s title was then changed to Samrat Prithviraj starring Akshay Kumar, Manushi Chhillar, Sanjay Dutt and Sonu Sood. However, this is not the first film where the movie title was changed due to controversies. Several Bollywood movie titles were changed before after facing flak or hurting religious sentiments for people.
Take a look at the Bollywood movie titles that have undergone change due to controversies:
1. Padmaavat: The movie starring Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Shahid Kapoor was first called Padmavati but it went into a lot of controversies as it was based on Queen Padmavati who is considered to be a goddess for the people of Rajasthan. Right from Karni sena people destroying the sets to threatening to cut Deepika’s nose, Sanjay Leela Bhansali film was mired with controversy. However, they then changed the title of the film and went on to become one of the biggest blockbusters.
2. Satyanarayan Ki Katha: The movie starring Kartik Aaryan has reportedly undergone tile change. As per the reports, the film’s title has seemed to have hurt the religious sentiments of the people. Though nothing is confirmed, it is still called Satyanarayan Ki Katha.
3. Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela: The movie starring Deepika Padukone and Ranveer Singh was called Ram-Leela. But people criticised the makers when they saw the posters of the film which were said to be bold and sensuous. A petition was filed against the film and was accused of hurting religious sentiments. Due to this, the makers had to change the title of the film to Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram-Leela.
4. Loveyatri: The movie starring Warina Hussain and Aayush Sharma was also mired with controversy when it was reported that its title hurt the sentiments of people. Reportedly, an FIR was filed against Salman Khan’s production house. Later on, the makers of the film changed the title to Loveyatri from LoveRatri.
5. Roohi: The movie starring Janhvi Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao and Varun Sharma was earlier titled as Roohi-Afza. However, the film was changed to Roohi due to copyright issues by the beverage brand.
6. Laxmmi: The movie starring Akshay Kumar and Kiara Advani faced objections from several Hindu groups. Reportedly, Hindu organisations claimed that the film ‘shows disrespect to the goddess.’ Hence, the makers took a call on changing the movie title by dropping ‘Bomb’ from the title.
7. Judgemental Hai Kya: The movie starring Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao also had to undergo a title change. The film was earlier called Mental Hai Kya but several therapists and mental health organisations came together and opposed it. They tried to convince the makers to change the title of the film and then it was titled Judgementtal Hai Kya.
8. Jai Ho: The movie starring Salman Khan and Daisy Shah was called Mental but seeing the controversy around Kangana and Rajkummar starrer, they then changed it to Jai Ho.
9. Billu: The movie starring Irrfan Khan and Lara Dutta also received a lot of flak when the Barber community came together as the association claimed the title hurt their sentiments. Seeing so much going around, they dropped the ‘Barber’ from the title.
10. Madras Cafe: The movie starring John Abraham and Nargis Fakhri had initially named the film ‘Jaffna’, a place located in Sri Lanka, but the makers had to change it because of the immense pressure from the neighbouring country, which felt it would show them in a bad light.